Thursday, September 9, 2010

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” – St. Augustine

St. Augustine definitely knew what he was talking about, so I’ve decided to read a whole new chapter of the World by studying architecture at the University of Edinburgh for a year.  I’ve been traveling with my family to Europe all my life and have once stayed alone in Sweden for a month, but living completely on my own in a country that I’ve never been to can be, needless to say, a little nerve racking. Add the stress that comes along with the studying and you’ve got a nineteen year old girl shaking in her waterproof (as it rains constantly in Edinburgh) boots. But with the nervousness also comes a great deal of excitement, new people, new places and a completely independent lifestyle. A week before my great adventure, at which time my mom is starting to loose her head with worry, a friend of my moms tells me that I should keep track of all the things I do and the places I see, maybe in a blog. Thinking that I won’t already have enough to do everyday in Edinburgh I decided a blog was a fantastic idea.

It is my last full day in Chapel Hill North Carolina and it is hectic. I’ve got to pack all of my clothes for a year and make sure my suitcases don’t exceed fifty pounds (curse new luggage charges), get all of my banking straightened out so that they don’t stop my debit card, figure out what I’m supposed to do and where to go when I get there, and hope that everything will run smoothly. Let’s just hope the airline doesn’t loose my luggage, as they have a knack for always loosing my family’s luggage. But here’s a little picture of inspiration that keeps me thinking that Edinburgh will be great, I mean who wouldn’t like to live right down the street from a real castle? 


No comments:

Post a Comment