Monday, September 20, 2010

First Day of Class!

Last night I decided that I should wake up at a decent hour and start to get my daily routine down. So I set my alarm for 8:30, course I didn't wake up until 9, but I didn't have classes until 2 anyway. After I got up and ate breakfast I went on a run. My flatmate had said she enjoyed running at Arthur's Seat in Holyrood Park which was relatively close to our flat. Course I had a little trouble finding it but I did, and I was just oh so happy because all of the trails were uphill, which is exactly what I wanted...I found one trail that wasn't as steep as the rest. Two little old ladies were walking their dog, the cutest Jack Russel I've ever seen, and as soon as he saw me he came up to me and jumped on my leg. The women said I must be special because he normally ignores other people, but I think that all dogs know when a person is a dog person. He even tried to run after me when I started going the opposite way. The view from the trail was amazing, at some point I will have to go back and climb to the top with a camera.
After my run I got back to my flat and found that our Internet was not working. I called customer service and they said that the whole building didn't have Internet but someone was trying to fix it. Great. Love having no Internet.
At around 1:30 I left for my first class, Spanish, with was at 2 in Old College. Old College is a beautiful building that looks like it's right out of Harry Potter. First thing I noticed in class was that I couldn't understand a word that my professor was saying, well I could but I had to listen very closely. He had a mix between a Spanish and a Scottish accent (how that happened I don't know). I volunteered to be the class representative (who knows why). Something made me do it though, no one else had volunteered and the professor looked upset that no one wanted to, so I raised my hand and said I would. Apparently it looks good on your resume anyway so I guess it's a good thing, I'm not really sure what it entails though. The people in my class were nice, although I may not be in class with them after all because I have to choose whether I want to take the class Mondays and Wednesdays or Tuesdays and Thursdays.
After Spanish I went to Architectural History, I met a few people in this class too. As soon as we sat down we were given a form to fill out to find out when our tutorials will be. Classes in the UK are split up into lectures and tutorials, lectures are obviously when you listen to the professors lecture and tutorials are when you are put into smaller groups to discuss the material. After we filled out the forms the professor said we were free to go because technically tomorrow is our first day of class.
So, other things I've noticed about classes here that are different in the US:
1. Tutorials and Lectures (I guess it's a bit like classes and labs)
2. A 60-69 grade is actually really good, it's considered a B. 70-100 is considered an A. Sounds good to me!
3. No one uses backpacks. I stick out like a sore thumb with my North Face, everyone uses messenger bags, but I really prefer my North Face
4. Under no circumstances do you wear sweatpants to class. I haven't seen a single person wear sweatpants, everyone dresses really well for class.
5. They only take three classes a semester, so awesome. I've got one or two classes a day and that's it.
So far those are the only differences I've noticed, but I'm sure I'll find much more.
After class I got back to my flat to again find that the Internet wasn't working. Sooo frustrating. So now I'm sitting in the library on my computer. I'm hoping the Internet will be running again by the time I get back. Oh and something else that's just awesome, I still haven't gotten my debit card for my bank account here, and it's been over 5 business days.

No comments:

Post a Comment