Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Registration, Societies and Food

At 8:45 this morning I woke up realizing that I had, of course, set my alarm clock to 8 pm and not 8 am, I had overslept by 45 minutes. My roommate and I had planned to get up at 8 and get ready to register and sign up for a doctor at the student health center. So I rushed out of bed and got ready to go. The view out my window showed that it would be a very nice day today.

First my roommate and I went to the student health center and got the forms for signing up for a doctor. At registration I met with my Director of Studies, who is supposed to help me choose classes and figure out my timetables. Unfortunately I was unable to sign up for Swedish language introductory course. Apparently all of the language courses at the University require a general knowledge of the language and since I know very little Swedish I was unable to sign up for the class. My other classes all seemed to work out and are in the afternoon, which is nice. My Director of Studies did tell me about a Swedish delicacy cafe that was right outside of the building. So of course I went to it as soon as I left his office. The cafe was called Peter's Yard, http://www.petersyard.com/ they had some of the best handmade crispbread and lots of other breads and sweets.
Later my other roommate and I went to the societies fair which was a lot of fun. There are a lot of very unique societies. I signed up for four societies, tennis, paint balling, skydiving, and architecture. I will actually be playing for a team in the tennis society. The paint balling society sounded like a lot of fun, but maybe a little intense for my roommate and I. The skydiving society sounded really exciting, they do a lot of training in wind tunnels and then actually go skydiving, the only problem is that it costs 150 pounds...I don't know if I can really afford that. The architecture society sounded really interesting, the first meeting is this evening. They have a lot of lectures from architects all around Europe plus they have a lot of social events so I can meet other people who are studying architecture at the University. My roommates and I are planning to go back to the society fair tomorrow because we had come late so many of the societies had left...who knows, maybe I'll join some more societies! (Love how they call them societies and not clubs like they do in the US).

No comments:

Post a Comment