Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Swallowed in the Sea

This morning I woke up and looked out my window thinking that it would be another beautiful day, the view out of my bedroom window was promising. Of course I was very wrong, it was raining on and off all day long. Since it was my dad's last day in Edinburgh we decided to do some sight seeing. We went out to North Berwick which is on the coast. Here are some pictures of the coast.

The White Rock is called Bass Rock, it has a lighthouse on it

The streets were lined with these bushes that had some sort of fruit or vegetable on them

Here is a close up of the fruit or vegetable


After we saw some of the coast we went inland and saw all of the beautiful farmlands, with lots of horses and sheep. By this time we were hungry and decided to look for somewhere to eat. We stopped at a golf course called Whitekirk Country Club. There was a public restaurant inside called Thistle bar and restaurant. The food was amazing. I ordered the baked lasagna, which was great. I enjoy that Europeans don't give you large portions. 

My dad ordered the salmon salad which he said was very good, even though I thought it didn't look appetizing at all, but I don't like salmon.
After our lunch we went to the Tantallon Castle which was built 1350 AD and was residence for one of the most powerful Scottish families, the Douglas earls of Angus. As we were walking towards the castle the wind started picking up, and by the time we got to the castle the wind was literally whipping us in the face. I felt like the whole building was going to collapse and when i was on the top of the building I felt like the wind was going to lift me up off the building. Of course I wasn't really dressed for the weather, the wind made it freezing and my scarf made several attempts to escape my neck. But it was still worth it because the Castle was great and I got some great pictures.









After the Tantallon Castle we went back to the city and went to the Edinburgh Castle, which is a couple blocks down from my flat. The Castle was beautiful and the views of the city were even better.






Now I am off to dinner somewhere close by, hopefully it will be good! 





No comments:

Post a Comment