Monday, December 20, 2010

Old Town

Yesterday late afternoon my cousin drove me over to a family friends house, the Lingheims. They live in my favorite part of Sweden, Djursholm. When I got there we made gingersnaps and I realized that there are a few things that I really love about Sweden. First, they always always have candles everywhere.
And every night we eat dinner by candle light, never in bright lights. Another thing I like is that they always have saunas in their houses, and even sometimes the saunas have showers in them! Plus when you get out of the shower or sauna your towel has been laying on heated racks so your towel is very warm:) Third thing that I love about Sweden, the fireplaces in the kitchen that are apart of the wall. It looks like a little square has been cut out of the wall and they stuck some wood in there.
Look at how cool that is! It's always so warm and cozy! So the Lingheims are taking care of a friends dog, that is just adorable, and it's so nice to have a dog living in the house because I do miss mine. It's nice to come home to a dog that is very happy to see you.
I don't know exactly what the dog's name is and I certainly wouldn't be able to spell it because it's in Swedish, but it sounds something like Feliece. 
Today, Amanda (the daughter who is a few years older then me) and I went to Old Town. Old Town has some great stores, and lots of souvenir stores. Most of these stores sell Dala Hests and Tomtens. Dala Hests are traditional painted horses and Tomtens are little trolls that are also found all around Swedish houses. 
Of course this one isn't painted, but it is what was in the Lingheims house. The stores are always very fun to go to. After a bit of shopping Amanda and I went to this really cool restaurant. You get to choose what type of pasta you want and then what toppings you want and then they make it right there in front of you. I got a yummy pasta carbonara:) After our very filling meal we went to a few more shops that were not in Old Town. 
Tomorrow I am going to Skansen, my favorite zoo. Amanda and her dad explained to me how I would get there, because I'll be taking the metro and the train on my own, and it's not so easy to figure out when everything is in Swedish. But they've given me a map and it looks like it will be pretty easy to figure out! 
Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment