Friday, November 5, 2010

Bonfire Night!

So during this week I keep hearing about Bonfire Night (or Guy Fawkes Night) and I don't want to look like the stupid American and ask what it is, but finally when my flatmates were talking about it I asked them. On November 5th, 1605 there was a plot, called the Gunpowder plot, to assassinate the Anglican King James I of England and VI of Scotland and replace them with a Catholic head of State. Guy Fawkes, who was left in charge of the gunpowder, was arrested and the King survived and so on November 5th there is a celebration of his survival. Now how would you celebrate a failed Gunpowder plot? With explosives of course! So everyone tonight ill set off lots of fireworks and make lots of bonfires! Personally I think it's the strangest celebration ever, but I can't complain because I love bonfires and fireworks!
Tonight I'll be going to King Arthur's Seat where there will be tons of great fireworks that I of course will get lots of pictures of!
A great way to start out bonfire night would be having a fire in our building right? I was taking a nice nap a  little earlier and woke up to the sound of our fire alarm going off. So I quickly grabbed a jacket and shoes and ran out the door. There was no real fire of course, but I got to enjoy standing in the freezing cold rain, thinking that there was a fire, what a pleasant afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment